Currently, cybersecurity for companies is an increasingly important issue, given that they have a large part of their information digitized.
New data is generated and stored in the cloud or digital media daily. Since it contains confidential information from an organization’s daily activity, it must be well protected. To carry out the most appropriate cybersecurity strategies, companies must have tools to prepare them for an attack or a security breach.
Cybersecurity In The Business Sector
A company needs to be focused on developing its security systems according to certain aspects of its activity. Below is a brief description of how a company needs to design its cybersecurity project considering the peculiarities of its economic sector of activity.
Companies In The Industrial Sector
Companies that work in manufacturing processes or transforming materials into products, such as:
- Those that carry out the machining or manufacture of parts in metal, plastic, or cork, among other materials. Or that manufacture furniture, appliances, and other appliances for personal or industrial consumption;
- Chemical, pharmaceutical, agricultural or food manufacturing and packaging companies;
- Material recycling companies;
- Publishers, &c.
The specific risks for this economic sector are mainly:
- Industrial espionage, related to obtaining essential data about the design and manufacture of products;
- Violations of computer security and privacy of persons whose information is processed in the corporate database;
- The physical security of people who are in the company and access control.
Companies In The Construction Sector
Organizations dedicated to the construction or renovation of buildings and houses:
- Plumbing, carpentry, insulation companies, etc.;
- Civil works companies, such as wiring, pipes, and floors.
Among the cybersecurity risks for this industry are the following:
- Theft or loss of plans and other types of documents related to the work;
- Vulnerabilities in the safety of works;
- Possible consequences of harmful working environmental conditions for computer equipment.
Companies In The Health Sector
Organizations are involved in healthcare and providing healthcare-related care or treatment. In this case, cybersecurity is highly conditioned by processing personal data considered highly sensitive. Some companies of this type are:
- Health clinics and pharmaceutical offices;
- Clinics for dentists, cosmetic surgery, ophthalmology, physiotherapy, gynecology, and any other type of specialist;
- Joint health and work accidents, among others.
The aspects that these companies need to consider when designing their IT security are:
- The possibility of personal data theft, especially from patients;
- The legal consequences of accidental or intentional loss of this type of information.
Companies In The Wholesale Sector
Any company engaged in the sale or distribution of wholesale products, such as:
- Large food companies;
- Major brands of electronic products;
- Textile sector chains;
The specific risks for this sector are:
- Possibility of theft of customer data;
- Vulnerabilities in the relationship with suppliers through Information Technology;
- Remote access to systems;
- Use of shipment tracking tools;
- Frauds relating to electronic commerce;
- Copy to individuals through social networks.
Companies In The Retail Sector
Companies dedicated to the direct sale of products to the public:
- Shops and bazaars;
- Kiosks and stationery;
- Grocery stores or fruit stores;
- Shoe stores, hardware stores or bookstores, etc.
The specific risks, in computer security, for this type of business concern:
- The theft of customer data;
- Vulnerabilities regarding the relationship with suppliers, which is through computerized systems;
- Possible remote access to your computer systems;
- Fraud via email or social networks.
Companies In The Leisure Sector
Those companies that offer services dedicated to the occupation of free time. Your cybersecurity will be conditioned mainly by processing your customers’ data related to their schedules and booking periods. In addition, there is the added risk of relying on third parties, such as providers of your technology services.
- vacation, tourism, travel, and accommodation services;
- Entertainment services such as restaurants or sports.
The more specific risks for this sector have to do with the following:
- Possible theft of customer data;
- Vulnerability in the relationship with suppliers through Information Technology;
- Possibility of illegal remote access to systems;
- Unlawful use of wireless networks;
- Email fraud.
Companies In The Logistics Sector
Companies are dedicated to storing, transporting, and distributing people or products.
- courier companies;
- Companies that sell gas or electricity;
- Transport of goods or passengers, among others.
The central computer security risks for companies in this area are:
- Theft or loss of data ;
- Vulnerability in computer technologies that relate them to their suppliers;
- Vulnerabilities in package or fleet tracking technologies.
Companies In The Education Sector
Any organization dedicated to teaching or carrying out cultural or sporting activities. This concerns both educational centers and private academies. Its computer security is conditioned to the treatment of the confidential data of all students, especially in the case of minors.
The more specific risks for these organizations are:
- The possible theft of student data;
- Vulnerabilities derived from the use of specific computer applications or tools;
- Site or social media-specific risks.
Groups of professionals who offer their services to members, such as:
- professional colleges;
- business groups;
- Cooperatives, unions, and offices, among others.
The computer security risks that must be considered correspond precisely to the following:
- Theft or loss of data;
- Copyright protection;
- Particular risks of your websites or social networks.
Companies In The Specialized Services Sector
Any company offering specialized professional services:
- Agencies or consultancies;
- Law firms;
- Advertising or communication agencies;
- photographic studios;
- Engineering studies or laboratories, etc.
The more specific risks in this sector are:
- The possibility of data theft or loss;
- Copyright infringement;
- Intellectual Property Vulnerabilities;
- Chances of your websites or social networks.
Therefore, regardless of the type of organization, the importance of cybersecurity for companies is today a fact. Information security should never be neglected because cyber criminals can act anytime.
Also Read: Cybersecurity: What Is Its Importance